Older adults can benefit greatly from taking more vitamins and minerals, whether in the form of supplements or healthier diets. Vitamins can help you make up for deficiencies, and ultimately improve your overall health and quality of life. Here are the best vitamins for seniors:
- Vitamin A helps with organ function, vision, and the immune system.
- Vitamin B6 works towards brain development and neurotransmitter production, immune functions, and metabolism.
- Vitamin B12 is beneficial for blood cells, DNA, and nerves.
- Vitamin C helps with collagen production and is also an antioxidant that prevents cell damage.
- Vitamin D assists with the body’s ability to absorb calcium for the bones, lowers inflammation, and reduces the risk for diabetes and heart disease.
- Vitamin E is another antioxidant that is good for the blood and immune system.
- Vitamin K helps with protein synthesis and blood clotting and is beneficial for your overall health.
It is also always best to consult with a doctor or dietitian before taking any particular vitamin. When you know what you need to take, check out Senior Strong’s recommended multivitamins for seniors today!
Elizabeth Kogut works as the editorial head of Senior Strong. Armed with her degree in Nursing from the University of Missouri, Elizabeth ensures that all the site’s content is relevant to seniors today.