When you reach the age of sixty, you will begin to understand that your body composition is a lot different compared to the way it was decades before. Admittedly, it may be more difficult to lose weight when you are a senior — especially because you become less active. However, exercise is crucial in burning belly fat and ultimately in helping you stay fit and healthy.
Here are some of the most effective exercises for burning belly fat as a senior:
- Brisk walking helps boost your metabolism and helps your body improve in being able to burn calories.
- Dancing helps you burn calories in your abdomen and is also a fun activity that may not even feel like exercise.
- Swimming helps tone muscles through resistance.
- Tai Chi helps you burn inches off your waist through low-impact movements.
- Yoga helps you build lean muscle mass and burn calories through low-impact exercises that do not put too much stress on your joints.
- Weight Training helps you become stronger, burn calories, and target your abdominal region.
As always, make sure to consult with your doctor about the safety of any of these exercises before getting started. Once you get the go-signal, be sure to check out some other exercises for seniors to stay healthy and well. Take a look at the rest of Senior Strong today!
William Rivers is an editor with a master’s degree in Human Services Counseling at Maine State University. He has more than 20 years of experience working in the senior healthcare industry.