Senior discounts are actually not too hard to come by. While some establishments—especially retail stores—do not exactly display the discounts that they offer, it can be extremely beneficial to just ask so that you can save your money.
A lot of AARP members, in particular, may be able to qualify for retail store discounts on some days of the week or month. A few establishments set fixed days for these discounts to take into effect for senior citizens, while others allow AARP members to get them any day of the week.
To clarify any confusion, you can also inquire whether discounts apply online, in-store, or for both.
Here is a guide to some of the most popular retail stores that offer senior discounts:
- Banana Republic (participating branches) offers 10% off for those aged 50+
- TJ Maxx offers 10% off every Monday for those aged 55+
- Kohl’s offers 15% off every Wednesday for those aged 55+
- Ross offers 10% off every Tuesday for those aged 55+
- Goodwill offers 10% off on a certain day of the week (depending on the branch) for those aged 60+
- RiteAid offers 20% off on a Wednesday of the month for those aged 65+
- Walgreens offers 20-30% off every month for store members or those aged 55+
- Michael’s offers 10% off any day of the week for those aged 55+
- The UPS Store offers 5% off in shipping for AARP members, and 15% off on certain services and products
- Bealls offers 10% off in-store on Tuesdays for those aged 50+
- Modell’s Sporting Goods offers 10% off every day of the week for those aged 65+
- Salvation Army offers up to 50% off on a certain day of the week (depending on the branch) for those aged 65+
- Clarks offers 10% off for those aged 62+
Hallmark offers 10% off on a certain day of the week (depending on the branch, with the age requirement differing based on the product)
Elizabeth Kogut works as the editorial head of Senior Strong. Armed with her degree in Nursing from the University of Missouri, Elizabeth ensures that all the site’s content is relevant to seniors today.