State regulations are ultimately what determine the level of care afforded by assisted lying facilities. These state regulations are something individuals should keep in mind when choosing among different facilities. Below are three examples of how these designations differ.
In California, the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform classify Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly as non-medical facilities that offer boarding, meals, housekeeping, supervision, medication management, and personal care assistance with basic activities.
However, the Virginia Department of Social Services defines Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) as non-medical residential facilities that offer or administer personal and health care assistance, 24-hour supervision, and support for four or more aged, sick, or disabled individuals.
Lastly, according to New York’s Department of Health, Adult Care Facilities (ACF) provide long-term, non-medical residential care to the elderly who are significantly unable to live independently due to physical disabilities, mental stress, or other limitations caused by aging or other circumstances.
Assisted Living Options for Seniors in 2022
As previously mentioned, an assisted living community is a great place to retire as it gives seniors a level of independence. Here are some of the best affordable assisted living facilities in different states to give you a diverse range of options to choose from:
1. Parsons House Preston Hollow in Dallas, Texas
- Average monthly cost begins at $3,628
- Family-owned living facility, so you know that they pay careful attention to detail
- Texas has no income tax and has additional tax exceptions for senior citizens
Parsons House Preston Hollow is a family-owned residential care facility that gives residents great value for money. With average monthly costs starting at $3,628, this is more affordable compared to the monthly average of other senior housing facilities. They have several different levels of care services: memory and respite care, assisted living, and independent living.
It is ideal for long-term care, given how individuals will have access to various resources and services as their needs change. This is one of the housing communities that truly encourages a sense of community, as they have daily activities for residents, group classes, fitness centers, and the like. The assisted living community is also situated nearby healthcare facilities and Medicare doctors.
2. Pacifica Senior Living in Escondido, California
- Monthly cost of living: $2,800 on average
- Residents may be able to use Medi-Cal to subsidize part of the costs
- Escondido is home to a number of senior living communities, so you know that you will be retiring in a place that accommodates your distinct needs
Pacifica Senior Living is one of the best assisted living options for senior housing for individuals who want to use insurance. You can use Medi-Cal to cover some of the costs, as it belongs to the list of approved Medi-Cal Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.
More independent seniors may opt for their one-bedroom or studio apartments, but they also have assisted care services and Alzheimer's care if you need a little more assistance. There are several communal areas like movie theaters, dining rooms, and group activities. Residents will also have access to amenities like hair salons and housekeeping. Individuals who choose this senior housing option will have peace of mind knowing that staff is on call 24/7, should there be any emergencies.
3. Brookdale Spruce Wood in Durham, New Hampshire
- Average monthly costs begin at $800
- Personal care services at every independence level: nursing, memory, assisted living, hospice, home health care
- Durham has numerous medical facilities for seniors who need access to emergency care
Brookdale Spruce Wood has a prime location, two miles away from downtown. Monthly costs begin at $800 at the most basic level. Like a few other assisted living communities, they have various levels of care: nursing home care, memory care, assisted living, home healthcare, and even hospice.
Residents can enjoy the facility's on-site game rooms, a barbershop, salon, library, and more. You may get some exercise on the grounds, particularly in their garden and courtyard. This assisted living community aims to provide seniors in this living community with the best quality of life possible. Meals are made specifically to address residents' health concerns, and it also has religious services for those who need them and specialized staff that can attend to all your concerns. Durham also has several medical facilities nearby and other exciting events in the area as well.
4. Lincolnwood Place in Lincolnwood, Illinois
- Monthly average costs begin at $2,495
- Award-winning memory care
- Illinois is one of the most tax-friendly states for senior citizens
Lincolnwood Place is a senior living facility in Illinois that has been in the industry for over 25 years. Prices here begin at $2,495 — which is relatively low considering how much they have to offer. Their apartments and housing options are newly renovated, and rooms are beautiful regardless of the living option you choose. The staff is ready to provide assistance 24/7.
They have valet services, transportation, and staff who are skilled and experienced in what they do. In fact, their memory care is award-winning. Apartments have in-house kitchen appliances, but they have gourmet dining at The Bistro as well. Lincolnwood Place has also been awarded by JD Power and Associates a top spot for customer satisfaction, specifically for assisted living and memory care.
There are also many opportunities for socializing with other residents, from wine tasting to live performances, day trips, outings, happy hours, trivia nights, gardening activities, game nights, book clubs, and several other social events. Also, Illinois is one of the most tax-friendly states for seniors, with the majority of your retirement income being tax-exempt.
5. Greatwood at Sugar Land in Sugar Land, Texas
- Average costs begin at $1,900 monthly
- Daily wellness checks and personalized services for every senior
- Close proximity to Brazos River Park and other idyllic sites
Greatwood at Sugar Land offers both assisted and independent living options that begin at $1,900 monthly. The staff at Greatwood cares deeply about each and every senior, as they personalize their care services according to your changing needs. This is a major asset of the facility, considering that the cost of assisted living begins at a much lower price. The staff also provides services for medication management, incontinence, diabetes, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy.
Residents have wellness checks every day and are taken care of by the facility's with housekeeping and dining services. The staff provides services for holistic enrichment, and their caregiver assistance is available 24/7. Activities include karaoke, arts and crafts, cooking, performances, exercise classes, and all types of religious services for members of different faiths.
6. Atrium Village Independent Living in Owing Mills, Maryland
- Average monthly costs begin at $2,795
- Program calendars for every level of care to give residents something to look forward to every day
- Owing Mills is a peaceful suburban area for the environment and nature lovers
Atrium Village Independent Living is one of the more luxurious housing options, with prices beginning at $2,795 — lower than the usual monthly average. There are a number of different housing options depending on the level of care and independence that you need.
The staff creates specialized calendars for each level of care, so residents always have something to look forward to in this senior living facility. Dining at The Cafe at Atrium Village is well-known in the community, providing restaurant-quality meals and service. Transportation is arranged for residents who need to make it to medical appointments off-site. There are also weekly off-site trips every Thursday.
7. The Garnet of Casa Grande in Casa Grande, Arizona
- Monthly costs begin at $2,940 on average
- Resort-style living spaces and activities to help seniors discover new hobbies
- The weather in Arizona is sunny for over 300 days every year so it will always feel like you're on vacation
The Garnet of Casa Grande is a housing option that feels a lot more like a resort than an assisted living facility. Monthly costs start at $2,940 on average, making it quite an affordable senior community. Users will not have to worry about daily tasks or chores, as the staff can take care of this for residents. The clinic and nursing staff are on-call 24/7.
The Garnet's location is close to town museums, restaurants, cafes, and stores, but there are numerous on-site activities. The facility can accommodate every individual's unique needs, with amenities such as daily workout classes, weekly trivia nights, walking clubs, pool tables, game rooms, libraries, live entertainment, and so much more.
8. Acclaim at Belmont Bay in Woodbridge, Virginia
- Average costs start at $2,770 per month
- Several nature-related activities and amenities related to it
- Prime location for suburban and city dwellers, as it gives residents access to both Belmont Bay Harbor and Washington DC
Acclaim at Belmont Bay is a fantastic private housing community located in lush Northern Virginia. The pay for assisted living in this resort-like senior living facility begins at $2,770 a month. Seniors get to live independently and also enjoy amenities such as their spa, indoor pool, and patio.
There is 24/7 security and assistance, housekeeping, and utilities included in the housing costs. They have four different dining options for every palate and preference, including private rooms for visitors. Meals are prepared with seasonal menus, and ingredients are grown on-site. This senior housing facility finds the middle ground between suburban and city living, as it is a mere twenty miles from Washington DC.
William Rivers is an editor with a master’s degree in Human Services Counseling at Maine State University. He has more than 20 years of experience working in the senior healthcare industry.